Monday, May 30, 2011

The Walmart Stigma

On this Memorial Day atop the Stoa, grill smoke wafting and motor boats ripping along Lake Michigan, I ponder the Walmart phenomena. I recently viewed a hilarious video put together by Jessica Frech, a university student from Memphis (and a budding singing star called, "The People of Walmart".

It really is funny. I do not stand on station and think of this as crass or classy, they just are. And this is really, really funny. Jessica is incredibly talented and I look forward to her continuing to put out songs on the Internet.

Now, on to Walmart. I have told my associates at work and those that mosey on up to the Stoa, that I think of myself as the ultimate Free Market Capitalist. I will spend my dollar more efficiently than anyone else and I will seek out that retail outlet that will allow me to get as much for that dollar as possible with either quantity or quality.

Due to the very nature of Walmart and its ability to hammer down prices up and down the supply and distribution chain, they offer just about anything I want or need at a price far lower than just about any other place I have seen. Of course, this attracts others who are doing the same thing. Others who may not have as much money to spend, those who have been unemployed, those on a small fixed income, and the like. If you are pinching pennies on food, then you may not have much more to spend on clothes, soap, or dental hygiene.

The video is resplendent with these individuals. Lets just say that I doubt that any of them went to finishing school. They wore what they wanted and felt free to do so without feeling uneasy with the eyes of society upon them. Most people would call them trash. The wealthy and the snobs among us would not want to get too close for fear that they will somehow afflict them with their social status.

Walmart sees them as loyal customers. I agree with them. Their money is just as green as anyones. Keeping prices low and quality high is an American commandment. Is it made by slave labor in China? Most likely, but that is for others to correct. In the mean time, I am going to shop where I like.

A million people spending $100 per week is worth more to Walmart then 100 people spending $1,000 per week. Anyhow, that is immaterial. Walmart will sell to anyone with money or credit.

As part of a Free Market purist, I also do not have any sympathy for the "Mom and Pop" shops that Walmart puts out of business. I see that as Capitalist natural selection. Walmart will not always be at the top, no more so than IBM or Microsoft were unchallenged in their supremacy. Walmart will employ more people all around than any mom and pop shop could ever hope to employ. Walmart and Meijers and other regional powers in the country started out small and grew because their business model was superior to the others in their market. Simple.

Unions and Walmart? The unions can spin for all I care. As long as Walmart pays a decent wage and provides incentives, then people will continue to work with them. Honda USA is a great example.

So do I shop at Walmart? Why not? Just don't get too close to some of the patrons and they won't bite.

Enjoy your bratwurst and burgers, your beer and your whiskey, remember our Fallen brave and shop wherever you feel like.

Live well.

--Zavost

No comments:

Post a Comment