Monday, July 25, 2011

Don't Ask Don't Tell--Don't CARE

Atop the Stoa this day I again keep my attention focused on what is important in life and not the constant side-attractions pitched in front of us by the MSM.

While we argue about the meaning of "default" and what word comes after "Trillion", the trash stories of our culture are slapped in our faces like roaming newspapers on the highway.

For years, since long before my time in the service, if you were "outed" then you were put out. The powers that be had their reasons, such as blackmail, fear of internal romances hampering efficiency and all that. Those may be valid reasons and all but I prefer to look at the elephant in the room and call things as I see them.

I suspect that the rank and file are just uncomfortable with having a member of the same sex "interested" in them. I feel that as long as this is disclosed at the time of enlistment, then there is no fear of blackmail. If the men are held to the same standards of sexual harassment to other men as the men are towards women then I see absolutely no issue here.

I feel that the military should ask as a matter of enlistment. It should not be kept a secret and the rest of the men should not really care. The way I look at it there is less competition for the available women on or near the base. I feel that they should "tell". Gets things out in the open. If the military does not care if you are white or black then it should not care if you are straight or gay.

Perhaps I see things too simply, but that is just how it is. There are rules on the books for treating with people who abuse others due to their orientation. Sooner or later, they will blend in with everyone else. You will know who is available to chase and who is not. The movies of the future dealt with this years ago (Alien, Starship Troopers, Terminator, to name just a few) and all of this is irrelevant to them. Just as it should be with us.

Ask, Tell, because I Don't Care.

Live well.

--Zavost

No comments:

Post a Comment